January 16, 2011

Catching up

Well I managed to trek my way into work last Friday - caught one of the few Public Transport buses running and hopped off as close as I could get to work (the Old Museum for those that are local). Walked up to Spring Hill from there (nice walk - have got to get in to the habit of that more often)

Arrived at the back entrance of the building to find a "everyone must sign in at security desk" notice - so up I went 3 floors and surprised the Security guys.  They advised that they weren't happy to see me (*pouts* but they usually loooove me and my goofy t-shirt slogans and perky, happy attitude *more pouts*) and said I shouldn't have come in.  I mentioned that I'd received an email from my Union that advised me of all the lovely penalties that could apply if I didn't make the effort to appear; and said I'd check things out in the library and then head on home early.

So Ironic that the first email I opened when I got the computer booted up was a directive from the Departmental Head, advising all staff not to come in until Monday the 17th [so utterly useful that he'd sent it only on the work network that so very few of us can access at home].  So I hung around for an hour or so - faxed off some urgent payments that were due; checked in with a few workmates; and then began the exciting trek home.  It took me almost an hour and a half to get home (walked from the Hill down to the city and then waited for a bus to arrive).  The Underground bus station was, of course, still closed due to the tunnels flooding and all buses were picking up passengers from the main street.

The CBD streets were eerily quiet on the lower Adelaide side - with neat piles of un-needed sandbags already lining the streets for pick up.   I walked through the Queen Street Mall - lots more people around & about there, with some of the stores open for business and others still without restored power.  A quick walk down to the next block brought me to Mr B's work building - the streets had already been cleaned off from the flood muck but the stench remained (mmm... river water + rotting vegetation + evil mud - always an olfactory delight!).  Not much lingering damage to be seen on the surrounding upper streets other than high tide marks on the postboxes and street lamps.  I decided not to be more of a lookie-loo and headed back to the bus stop.

Once home I collected Mr B and dragged him (kicking and screaming... well okay... merrily almost-skipping with the lure of Guinness) off to the local Pub for lunch.  Great lunch consumed but sadly the Guinness was flat so B had to make do with normal beer.

Home again where I made an effort to catch up with all the correspondence I have neglected in the last week.  Facebook messages sent off to J and C and K - advising that real mail from Downunder will take a few weeks to start up again (since the post office have asked for restraint until they get their local facilities back up & running); emails off to some new Green Beans Cup-of-Joe people asking for pen pals (I've sent off about 8 replies - anticipate only 2 or 3 will feel confident in engaging in correspondence exchange. I do try to be myself in those emails so I guess (maybe) I come across as a little bit too goofy for some). Oh... and I seem to have acquired a new Soldiers' Angel adoptee too.  All a bit odd in the way it occurred - more odd that the person asking via email was a friend of the intended adoptee and using a third persons email address (I think it's all above board and just a situation caused by communication issues downrange however I will let my SA mentor know about it so they can add new person on to my adoptees list). I've sent off the initial contact "I come in peace!" email so we'll see what happens from there).  Perhaps the lure of weird Aussie munchies will tip the balance of reply (bwhahahaa.... I'll begin with timtams and move on to musk sticks and Vegemite)

RAK (random act of kindness) that I organised pre-Christmas has also reached it's intended victim online friend. I actually got the message earlier in the week that it had arrived. So Big Goofy Pax smile that it made him happy.

I'm back off to work tomorrow (Monday) - leaving home earlier than normal in case the regular bus I catch isn't running. I can do the walk up the hill again if need be.

Oh... and for those that heard about my "oppsie" yesterday - my noggin is fine and the bump has gone down leaving just a bruise.  No lasting effects other than a tendency to be vague and goofy (ooh.. right.. that's normal... okay - NO LASTING EFFECTS :D)


  1. Vague and goofy is your default setting, my dear!

    From the Translink website, buses are back to normal from tomorrow. Well - at least from the northside!

  2. It is always nice to be told not to come in on a Monday.

  3. It is nice to receive a volunteer adoptee. That's how I got my Cpl of Marines while he was in Iraq[got Sgt stripes just before he left Iraq]. We had the best e-mails and the goodie boxes ... well at least 2 to 3 every other week kept him [and maybe his buddies] with lots of goodies.

    Have fun with the new one. Hope he likes eatting "Strange Aussie goodies".

    Miss Em

  4. It seems all my milsupport types are coming home and I am left all alone. I won't go the SA because I don't deal well with restrictive rules…or rules period. I’m looking around for a new contact, though. Has all the water gone down now? Those videos were amazing and the damage must be aweful.

  5. Love the vague and goofy. Sounds like you are busy giving to others and keeping things good for the troops. Thanks for making a difference.