June 6, 2010

Catching up

http://marionsmeepings.blogspot.com/2010/06/catching-up.html
Sorry - It's been a few days since I had meant to make a post (works' been super busy as it's almost the end of the financial year here in Australia. My job is purchasing/payments & worrying about whether next years budget will be enough to keep the libraries services ticking along. Finance books close on the 20th of June so I'm hoping things will calm down for a bit after that)

Well last weekend saw Pax & Cozzles (*aka Coral) off on another wondrous adventure.  C was indulgent enough to let me drag her off to the locally held International PBR (Professional Bull Riders) - think Rodeo but with huge Malevolent 1-ton+ Bulls - however her price was that I would travel with her up the coast to check out a new venue for an upcoming medieval event (C belongs to the 14th century Group Citadel that I am very tempted to join. I am actually a member of the SCA, a peer even, but I've lost the enthusiasm for it over the last few years)

So we headed off about lunch time Saturday - off towards Bribie Island (North of Brisbane on the coast).  Found our way to the Abbey Museum okay. Their new tournament grounds are at the back of the property so we needed permission to venture that far - easiest way to do it seemed to be to chatter to the ticket seller for the Museum; and since the entrance price was really reasonable we decided we would first have a browse through the collection and see what was new.



It's a fascinating place - their section on manuscripts is amazing (no photos as they don't allow flash photography in that area) and well worth the Aust $8.50 ticket. 

We then browsed the selection of touristy souvenirs (finding some cute knightly pins for my three adoptees) and then, grasping the hastily drawn map supplied by our Tickety host, proceeded to check out the swampish zone that will shortly be home to about 10 different medieval encampments and about 30,000 day trippers (it's a weekend event so X2 on that).  I guess the best that can be said of the area is that it's adequate and that everyone will be praying for it to stay dry [my last few times of camping at the Abbey event with the SCA involved much rain and being cold so it's not something I am keen to do again now that I'm older and have dodgy knee joints. Oh a note for the Overseas readers - it's winter here in Australia which means the locals are freezing even if the visitors from colder climes are wandering about in t-shirts and shorts, commenting on how temperate it is]. 

So fact finding mission over and local Kookaburra spotted and photographed (sorry it's such a bad shot - he was leary of the tall human creeping up on him and flew away before I could zoom in) we then headed off to the Boondal stadium and the fun of the PBR.

Hmm... they really should put a Dress Standard note on the tickets for these things. We were both rocking the jeans & boots fine but had NO HATS!!! (seriously I was feeling rather naked in a sea of Akubras & Stetsons)  That it was an INDOOR AT-NIGHT event? Yeah... made no never mind to the hat wearers (shakes head in bafflement - it's a country thing isn't it?). Actually C's jeans were sporting a super huge rip in the nether zones so she was trying to ensure her long coat covered the goodies at all times (and no - no photos - she's meaner than me LOL) - perfect excuse for her NOT to join our two Bunny-ish seat mates in the "shake your booty for a t-shirt" moment [I still think she should have had a go - I could have done with a new T from it :D]

So the Bullriding - Amazing! yet sometimes scary. I'm back to wondering about the sanity of these uber-buff (and yummy... opps.. sorry.. need to wipe the drool from the keyboard) cowboys. It was an international event so half were from the USA and the others were Australians.  They have some of the rides posted on their Youtube page if you are keen to see the talent.  Definately the best birthday gift I've given myself for years!

The Rest of the week has since been super busy and rather dull.  Highlights were sending off a few more goodies to my adopted soldiers (J now has a water balloon launcher heading his way; C & K have Aussie munchies due shortly and the usual weekly letters written. Of course they are now going to realise I am a tad weirder than first they suspected - the medieval/rodeo mix might give it away - but meh... unique & original aussies are hard to come by.  And possibly harder to get rid of :D)

Stay safe Y'all!

Pax

2 comments:

  1. Glad you had a great time with C. Guess you are feeling better and breathing okay. I hope so.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool museum. Sounds like you are a movin' and groovin'. Busy times.

    ReplyDelete