July 30, 2012

Day one

First day of my recreation leave today (aka 'holidays' to us native English speakers over here).  I have two weeks off work - primarily to de-stress a bit; watch some of the Olympics*; and go spend some quality time with my Mum while I can (I won't put in a rant here about how much I hate Cancer. Such a cruel disease)

Of course I first have to get over the latest bout of the flu/cold illness that I contracted last week. So taking things slow for the first few days until that passes - and making sure I am 100% before going anywhere near my parents place.

Other plans for the fortnight include (hopefully) - a visit to Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary. I need to get some "cute Aussie animal" pictures to send to my two current adopted Soldiers - and I'd like to write a review on how I enjoy the place in case any of my overseas friends head this way. (the last time I was at Lone Pine I was about 4 years old.... amazing how time flies ;D)

I would like to also go visit the Douglas MacArthur museum.  Not sure if they allow photography inside there but will review & report.  The Museum is only open a few times a week so I will have to check times and synchronise my iPhone clock [trivia fact - I don't wear a watch these days. I used to have a lovely pendent one that hung from a chain but time & travels have done for it. All clock watching now is done via the ubiquitous mobile phone]

I am also rather obsessively watching all news reports on the status of Public Service jobs. The Newly elected conservative State government here is decimating the public sector - taking no interest in who actually supplies the work or information required to run things effectively or efficiently but rather minimising on a "numbers" system only (20% more jobs to be gone by X date thank you very much).  And since I am well aware that Libraries are seen as "un-necessary" extravagances by the Philistines above us - then it is rather likely that my job will be declared as "unrequired".

As you can guess my stress levels are somewhat high.  It's all really a waiting-game at the moment

Oh and for anyone offering helpful "Go look for a new job NOW" advice - there aren't any in my field being offered. I really need to either change my employment field OR get my Librarians degree - both of which will require that I attend University full time for a few years. Which is an option that I am seriously looking at should I have the funds to do so.

Ah well.. at least I can spend the next few days working out Plan B to F - for Pax's future. You never know - I might even be able to finally do some travel. My Bucket list is immense :)

*with the time difference from the UK to Australia I can catch some of the events live from 7.30ish at night and into the wee hours o the morning. Luckily I have a Foxtel version of Tivo and can record the rest to watch in the mornings.

2 comments:

  1. Hi, I couldn't see any way of contacting you via email, so I thought I would leave a comment. My name's Chris Morgan, I am the producer of a major new war film, called 'Coup', which may be of interest to your readers. Tagline - a rogue General stages a military coup in America. We have already raised over £750,000 towards our target of £3m via Wefund - http://wefund.com/project/coup-film/p30307/ . We are raising further awareness of the film and seeking to raise the rest of the money via the crowdfunding site above. Please follow the link to follow the project or pledge money via crowdfunding. You can also email me chris@chrismorganfilms.com for more info and a copy of the press release.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @DNA - it's commendable that you are self-funding a film however I am curious as to your marketing strategy here.

    Have you targeted my blog simply due to my support of Military folks? If yes - do you intend to involve Returned Veterans in your film making ventures (at standard S.A.G. rates) - or do you intend to promote Military Support groups or donate to them in the event of your film being successful?

    Most curious as to your response

    Pax

    ReplyDelete